Friday, September 28, 2007

Reviewing the year so far

Just days away from the end of the 3rd quarter of the year, I look back and think about my production of work this year and to what degree of satisfaction I have with my efforts. This is a good place for contemplation of such things because there is still a fourth of the year remaining for a final push- if that is what I feel I must do.

I can't really say how much work I have actually produced this year, but it seems like a more prolific one then past. I do have a better idea about numbers where submission and publication are concerned and those numbers give me some cause for satisfaction.

Over the last 12 months, I've submitted 29 works for publication. Of those, seven remain pending. My acceptance rate is just under 18.52% and that is higher than the average reported on Duotrope's site among others who use their tracking services. This month I have submitted 4 poems, and I plan to resubmit some today or tomorrow.

I still have a number of pieces that are finished and can be sent out. This has allowed me to work and rework on some new material without feeling pressure. This plus these results, make it easier not to rush material and give it plenty of time to make sure it is ready.

I do believe the final three months of the year I can substantially increase the amount of material I have out in circulation, and I intend to give it a good push towards making this an even better year. In addition to this, I believe I can successfully have the File Folder chapbook ready for circulation by years end.


No comments: